Website Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Salary: £28,500 to £28,999
Gratuities: £130 – £230 per month
Accommodation: subsidised accommodation available on site or in local town (when available)
Staff transport: provided free between staff houses and hotel
Hours: 50 per week
Progress your pay as you develop your skills through our Skills Development (SD) Levels:
- SD1: be eligible for £130 gratuities per month. 28 days’ holidays (inclusive of Bank Holidays)
- SD2: be eligible for £150 gratuities per month. 28 days’ holidays (inclusive of Bank Holidays)
- SD3: be eligible for £170 gratuities per month. 30 days’ holidays (inclusive of Bank Holidays)
- SD4: be eligible for £190 gratuities per month. 30 days’ holidays (inclusive of Bank Holidays)
- SD5: be eligible for £210 gratuities per month. 32 days’ holidays (inclusive of Bank Holidays)
Learn from the best.
Be part of a great team.
Work in a stunning location.
We’re looking for talented Chef de Parties to our enthusiastic and talented team.
Being a chef at The Gilpin Hotel & Lake House requires varying degrees of skill and bucket loads of enthusiasm. With three very different kitchens on our beautiful sites – we employ staff with a range of culinary skills and qualifications ranging from creative chefs with Michelin Star experience to our much-needed and hard-working kitchen porters. Every staff member is important in helping to create a smooth and incredible dining experience for our guests.
A Chef De Partie
- Prepares and cooks dishes according to the recipes, guidelines, and instructions provided by the Chef de Partie.
- Executes culinary techniques specific to the assigned section, ensuring that the quality, taste, and presentation of the dishes meet the established standards.
- Assists in the setup and organisation of the assigned section before service, ensures that all necessary ingredients, equipment, and tools are available and in proper working order. Maintains a clean, tidy, organised and safe working environment at all times.
- Monitors and maintains the quality and consistency of dishes throughout the cooking process. Tastes and adjusts seasoning as needed. Reports any quality or consistency issues to the senior chefs for resolution.
- Assists in the management of ingredient inventory for the assigned section, ensures proper stock rotation, storage, and labelling. Notifies the senior chefs of any shortages or discrepancies in a timely manner.
- Works closely with the culinary team, effectively communicates and collaborates to ensure smooth operations and timely service. Assists colleagues as needed and follows instructions from senior chefs.
- Contributes ideas and suggestions for new dishes, improvements, or adaptations for the assigned section. Collaborates with the senior chefs in menu planning and development.
- Adheres to strict food safety and hygiene standards, including proper handling, storage, and labelling of ingredients. Ensures cleanliness and sanitation in the assigned section, following all health and safety regulations.
- Shows a desire to develop and complete any training courses available and encourage others.
- Takes responsibility and ownership of their section, ensuring that a high standard of cleanliness and tidiness is maintained.
- Sets examples to younger team members.
- Is willing to complete a job and then assist others.
- Improves culinary skills and knowledge continuously, by staying updated on industry trends, techniques, and new ingredients.
- is confident in presenting food to guests and has the ability to explain dishes in a clear, confident and professional manner.
- Seeks guidance from senior chefs and actively participates in training programs and workshops.
- Is presentable at all times in clean pressed uniform, with long hair tied back. Attention to personal hygiene is also extremely important.
Skills and experience required for the role
- Culinary qualification or experience in a professional kitchen.
- Food hygiene qualification is essential.
- Previous experience in a professional kitchen, preferably in a similar role.
- Strong culinary skills with knowledge of various cooking techniques and kitchen equipment.
- Attention to detail and a commitment to delivering high-quality dishes.
- Understanding of food safety and hygiene standards and the ability to follow them strictly.
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills to effectively collaborate with the kitchen team.
- Flexibility to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, as per the demands of the restaurant.
- Physical stamina and dexterity to stand for long periods, lift heavy pots and pans, and perform repetitive tasks.
- Can Act as a First Aid Aider or Fire Warden in the event of an accident or emergency.
SOURCE is a Michelin Star Restaurant and therefore, we have high standards to uphold and our chefs are expected to:
- Report for work in the kitchen on time and fit to work.
- Arrive in clean pressed whites. (Senior members retain the right to ask the member to correct this).
- Ensure that long hair is tied back and up. A general well-groomed appearance is expected.
- Act professionally at all times and set a good example to other members of the team.
- Follow rules of the kitchen and follow the timetables set.
- Have a positive attitude to the kitchen every day.
- Be flexible to rota changes.
- Clock in and out daily as a non-negotiable.
- Report any issues to the next senior member in line.
ABOUT OUR FOOD
Gilpin has two very different restaurants, led by two very different high-profile chefs who work together, sharing the same vision, commitment, passion and values, built on sustainable sourcing with low to no food miles and supporting local producers.
SOURCE at Gilpin Hotel
Ollie Bridgwater – Executive Chef – One Michelin Star
Ollie has created his own unique Lake District restaurant with sourcing, local produce and sustainability at the top of his agenda, topped with a sprinkling of culinary magic and storytelling that pushes the boundaries of what diners have come to expect. “SOURCE is a fun, vibrant restaurant that provides a great place to come & have an amazing, inspiring experience, and at the same time providing a professional engaging place for people to work in & be a part of.”
Tom ‘Westy’ Westerland – Head Chef
Gilpin Spice is renowned locally for its inspired pan-Asian dishes, and Westy is adding his own style. “My food is very fun, there’s always a bit of a story behind it. His focus is on storytelling and communicating that to the guests so that they know the background of the dish and what the inspiration was behind it.”
Under the guidance of owner Barney Cunliffe, the property has also introduced its’ strategy for sustainability, which includes new procedures and techniques for procurement, scrutinising the supply chain and developing a new Culinary Centre, complete with its own on-site butchery, and working with local farms and specific herds. Working as sustainably as possible is something that’s hugely important to us at Gilpin, and with the appointment of two fantastic chefs across our two restaurants, we have the chance to do something really extraordinary. The chefs are working with a neighbouring organic farm and taking a nose-to-tail, low-to-no food mile approach to sourcing, and our vertical farm enables us to produce food to a perfect condition, with no food miles, packaging or transport, minimum water use, no pesticides, and no poor harvests or plant wastage.
LIVE, WORK & PLAY IN THE LAKE DISTRICT
Work hard but really enjoy your days off? There’s nowhere better to do that than in the beautiful Lake District. As well as the traditional hospitality jobs at Gilpin Hotel and Lake House, you can also be an accountant, an agri-scientist, an interior designer, a landscape gardener, a marketeer, and much more… the opportunities are endless!
LOVE & LAUGHTER – WE LOVE WHAT WE DO – JOIN US AS OUR CHEF DE PARTIE
Many of our guests come to Gilpin for very special celebrations, investing time, money, expectations, memories and feelings into their stay with us. Our job is to help create the magic, sowing the seeds for lasting happy memories with five star service, and a lot of love and laughter.
THE WORLD IS YOUR OYSTER – WE WILL TRAIN & DEVELOP YOU
You can start at whatever level is right for you, and immediately start learning about the work and our team spirit; everything you need will be provided in a combination of on the job training and via our online Gilpin Training Academy, with clear pay progression built in. If you want to prove yourself and become a manager, the opportunity is there – you can see for yourself what you need to do to progress, and if you wish to take it further this can lead to a degree or leadership course without needing previous qualifications. We don’t pigeon hole and we support you to create your own career path – you might start off in one department and decide you want to try something in another department, For those that have a set career path in mind though, we’ll support you to develop as far as you want to go. This is your future – our job is to train you & prepare you for whatever you do next.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR ME?
Staff social events, activities and parties throughout the year.
Home-cooked food for just £1 per meal. A breakfast of toast and cereal is free, and available at all times. We also have snacks and tasty treats available throughout the day.
Fantastic subsidised shared staff accommodation, some at the hotel, some in the countryside, and some in the centre of Windermere and Bowness. In all accommodation there is a shared kitchen and lounge area. We spring clean your room before you move in, meet you, show you around, and settle you in with a welcome pack, and check all the accommodation monthly to make sure everything is still lovely. Our staff accommodation ranges from mobile static homes to ensuite rooms in Bowness and Windermere (from £130 to £350 per month including bills). If you’re really trying to save and don’t have a lot of stuff, there are a few very small mobile static home rooms that we don’t charge anything for.
Free staff transport between Gilpin Hotel and Lake House and the staff houses in Crook, Windermere and Bowness.
Free use of Choices Health Club in Troutbeck Bridge with gym, swimming pool, steam room, sauna and hot tub.
We buy MyCumbria Cards for all of our team – old and new! With this you can get offers and discounts throughout Cumbria on food & drink, activities, shopping and more. We’ll also be introducing a scheme where you can get even more money off certain activities, so watch this space to go bike riding, canoeing, rock climbing, or relax with a lovely meal or go to the cinema…
We provide personalised English classes (while you’re paid) if you wish to gain confidence and ability to communicate in English. The aim is to motivate and encourage progression here at Gilpin as well as to gain confidence outside of work.
TREATS – DINING & HOTEL STAYS
Discounted rates in our restaurants, as well as amazing opportunities to stay at other Relais & Châteaux and Pride of Britain hotels from just £150 per night!
FRIENDSHIP & FUN
There are around 170 of us in Team Gilpin, but we’re not a big international hotel. We love what we do, and believe it’s important to have a friendly warm atmosphere behind the scenes as well as out front. We are family run with a strong team of managers who really look after, look out for and nurture our teams. We have a lovely, friendly, close knit team, where great friendships are made (often long term). We believe in enjoying what we do!
For more information see https://thegilpin.co.uk/join-our-team
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £28,500.00-£28,999.00 per year
- Company events
- Company pension
- Discounted or free food
- Employee discount
- Free or subsidised travel
- Free parking
- Gym membership
- Language training provided
- On-site parking
- Shuttle service provided
Supplemental pay types:
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 01/02/2024
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.